Friday, November 12, 2010

The Wheels On The Bus...Move Way Too Slow

I've always had a hard time trying to get Angie to watch NBA.  She thinks the games are too boring because either 1) they turn into one-on-one battles, 2) the players are lazy and at times don't try, or 3) both 1 and 2.  I wish I could disagree but it is getting harder and harder to argue against those points.  I even got us tickets to see Carmelo vs. LeBron James during their rookie seasons and it turned into exactly that; Carmelo vs. LeBron, not Cleveland vs. Denver.  Take the game Tuesday night against the Pacers when the Nuggets gave up 54 points in the third quarter.  Indiana shot 20-21 in the third quarter and would have been perfect if Josh McRoberts (what did you expect from a Dookie) hadn't launched an errant 3 pointer with less than 2 seconds to go in the quarter.  I know all teams have off nights but c'mon, the only way I can see giving up that many points is by not playing any defense and being lazy.  I don't want people to think I'm negative about everything so I will give the Nuggets credit for beating the previously unbeaten Lakers last night.  Didn't see that one coming.

Call me crazy but I'm predicting that both the Buffs (vs. Iowa St.) and Rams (vs. BYU) will win this weekend.

Broncos are playing Kansas City this Sunday at Invesco Field.  I'm giving Denver a 70-30 chance in this one. And by 70-30 I mean the stadium will be filled with 70% Denver fans and 30% KC fans.  As if the defense couldn't get any worse against the run, captain D..J. Williams was arrested for his second DUI and will most likely be suspended.  Final score KC 38 DEN 24.

The following question might sound appalling at first so please read the entire story before you judge me.  When is it okay to honk at a school bus?  I would normally give a school bus a bit of leniency when it comes to driving slow but my patience was definitely tested earlier this week.  I was driving to work in the morning and decided to take a different route because I needed to get gas.  As I approached my turn and moved into the right turn lane a school bus suddenly swerves into the turn lane just in front of me, the turn apparently coming out of nowhere.  Maybe the driver was distracted by some screaming kids, no big deal.  Then I notice that the bus is empty except for the driver and one adult (or very large kid) near the back.  OK, maybe the guy is taking a driving test, as a kid that rode the bus I appreciate that.  The initial speed limit is 45 and the bus is going 35.  Understandable right?  I'm sure the bus takes awhile to get up to speed.  After about a half mile the speed limit increases to 55 (which is one reason why I decided to go that way) and the bus speeds up to...40?  He continues to drive 40 and I feel myself getting hot.  I check the heater and it's not on.  I check my seat warmer and that's not on either.  Hrmmm, I guess I'm starting to get annoyed.  As I see the line of cars get longer and longer in my rear view mirror I find some comfort in the fact that I'm not the only one that thinks this bus is going really slow.  Pretty soon we start to approach the stoplight of pain.  You all know this stoplight.  It's the one that stays green for about 3 seconds which is usually enough time for the guy in the front of the line to put down his cell phone and get through and then turns red so nobody else can make it through.  It's also the light that is always timed so that you get there right as it turns yellow and you can't make it through without having to close your eyes because "it's not illegal if I don't see it."  Amazingly enough we're pulling into the left turn lane just as the arrow turns green so things should work out perfect for once.  Well it would have been perfect if the bus hadn't started to slow down about 200 feet before we hit the turn lane.  I mean come on, at that point we were going  so slow I could have stopped my car, walked up to the driver's side window and put the bus into park.  Anyway, after waiting the 20 minute light cycle we finally made the turn and drove 20 in a 40.  I finally got to a spot where I could pass the bus, shot the driver the dirtiest look I could muster, and shot past the bus at 40 mph.  In my mind I imagined that, to the bus driver, I looked like a NASCAR driver passing the cars at pit row.  Well this story ends the way all stories like this do; I end up getting stopped at the next red light and watch as the now ant sized bus grows larger and larger in my mirror as his 20 mph finally gets him to the light, immediately behind me.  Wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I'm with Angie but for different reasons. Could they have more time outs? I end up shutting off the game at the end because I can't take it anymore. And the attitudes? Oh my goodness. I know professional athletes often have high opinions of themselves but thesense of entitlement in the NBA is beyond what I can handle.
    I think that bus driver deserved a little honking. However whenever I do it (and believe me I do) I always feel bad afterwards.

    ReplyDelete