Monday, November 1, 2010

Christmas Morning



Hello there.  I'm not sure exactly what makes me think I have enough to say to write a blog or, more likely, that there are enough people out there that care about what I have to say.  My wife Angie does a blog and I really enjoy reading that so maybe there will be someone that will enjoy some of my thoughts.  I'm guessing most of my posts will be sports inspired (hence the blog title) but I'm sure some of my random thoughts will show up as well.  My decision to do a blog comes from the fact that I feel like I need some place to vent my frustration with the Denver Broncos and coach Josh McDaniels.  Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think.  Hopefully your comments will inspire me for future posts when I run out of things to say.  I guess officially I've already started my blog but here goes nothing...

You know it's bad when all you have to root for is "tacos for touchdowns" instead of touchdowns for wins but that is the reality of being a Denver Broncos fan.  Unfortunately even two free tacos (with purchase of a large drink) won't make me feel any better after another lackluster outing by the Broncos in their latest loss on Sunday to the previously 1-6 49ers.  After a slow first half the Broncos finally seemed to get things in gear when Tebow scored their first points of the game.  Then, shortly after, a flea-flicker actually worked for a long touchdown to Gaffney...only to be called back because of a chop block by first round pick Know-show Moreno.  It is now the norm in my house to wait at least 5 seconds before celebrating any play (even a 2 yard run by the worthless Maroney) to allow time for the announcers to spot and announce the yellow flag(s) behind the line of scrimmage for the typical illegal formation/holding/illegal motion/chop block/delay of game/(insert any offensive penalty here) penalty to cancel out the play.  After moving back 5 - 15 yards I don't even need to watch because I know the 2 yard running play is coming on first and 20, or the 3 yard pass play on third and five.  At this point I am rooting for two things (not counting the aforementioned tacos for touchdowns); a new coach and a high first round draft pick.  Keep in mind that in order for the first round draft pick to be a good pick, we need a new coach/GM first.

It was good to see CSU kick some Lobo butt on Saturday.  I have to say I am very glad we switched to DirecTV so I can finally watch CSU games on Saturday afternoons (thanks for nothing Dish Network.)  I love the fact that CSU will finally have a four year QB instead of the one and done rotation we've had the past  four or five seasons.  Early in the year I predicted a defining win for CSU and, although the ranked teams have come and gone (and beat CSU down), I still think they will pull out a nice win against San Diego St. or BYU.  I'm very excited to see what they do next season.

Again, thanks to DirecTV, Angie and i were able to watch the Montana St. vs. Idaho St. game on Saturday night.  It was a sloppy game (at least it appeared that way as we watched the second half in 2x speed) but the Bobcats did pull off the road victory in overtime thanks to multiple missed field goals in regulation by the Bobcat kicker.  The interesting thing that came out of this game was that during the winning touchdown run the Montana St. quarterback stepped out of bounds at the two yard line, unnoticed by the refs, and crossed the goal line for the score.  As Angie and I were watching the replay and waiting for the play to be reviewed and overturned we noticed the players for both teams were jogging off the field to their respective locker rooms.  The TV announcer then let's us know that the Big Sky Conference does not have instant replay and the touchdown would stand.  Good job boys, hurry back to the bus and get back to Bozeman before they change the rules.

A few random thoughts before I go:

  • I've only been wearing contacts for a couple months so maybe this feeling will wane but the first of every month feels like Christmas morning when I get to throw out the old contacts and open up a pack of freshies
  • Sometimes, when I'm calling in to a radio show to win a prize, I actually hang up when the phone starts ringing because I was expecting the busy signal
  • FAGE strained Greek yogurt with fruit (in the side container not pre-mixed) is amazing
  • After seeing baby girl as a kitty for Halloween do I now need to consider myself a cat person? 

No comments:

Post a Comment