Friday, April 5, 2013

Home Opener

Today is one of my favorite days of the year.  The home opener for the Colorado Rockies.  This year celebrates their 20th year as a MLB franchise which is hard to believe.  I remember being in ninth grade in 1993 and my junior high (yes ninth grade was still in junior high) brought a bunch of TVs into the lunch room so we could watch the Rockies play the Mets at the old Shea stadium.  The Rockies were awful that year, they finished 67-95, but it didn't matter because pro baseball was in town!  I remember going to a couple games that year as one of my friends had season tickets.  Prior to the Rockies the highest level of baseball I had seen was when the Denver Zephyrs (AAA team for the Milwaukee Brewers) played at Mile High.  It was pretty exciting to see my baseball idols in person.  20 years later I still have yet to make it to a home opener but I'll get there one of these years.  I've heard it's such a great atmosphere because everyone is full of hope and hey, this could be our year!

Today I completed week 3 of my 5k training plan.  This week wasn't much harder than last week: 5 min warm-up walk, 1.5 min jog, 1.5 min walk, 3 min jog, 3 min walk, 1.5 min jog, 1.5 min walk, 3 min jog, 3 min walk, 5 min cool-down walk.  Monday was cold (40 degrees) and windy, Wednesday was warmer (47 degrees) and windy, but today was a perfect 60 degrees with just a slight breeze.  For the week I averaged 2.31 miles in the 28 minutes which cut about 10 minutes off my projected 1/2 marathon pace.  Next week's plan doesn't look too bad but things get tougher starting week 5.  I guess I should enjoy these easy weeks while I can.


Projected 1/2 marathon time (repeating week 3 workout): 160 minutes = 2 hours 40 minutes
1/2 marathon time goal: 2 hours 45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment