Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Super Bore

Nobody needs me to rehash the pain that was Super Bowl 48 so I won't.  I will make a few comments.  Sorry in advance that they are going to be so random but I'm just planning on typing them as I think of them.


  • I would first like to place blame on Joe Namath.  If he hadn't flubbed the coin toss, Denver would have won the toss, deferred to the second half, and the game would have been much different.
  • OK, that was obviously said tongue in cheek but you do have to wonder how the game would have gone if Denver would have won the toss.  I think Denver would still have lost, and probably by double digits.  If they played 10 times I think Seattle wins 6-7 times.
  • Even after the safety, and subsequent drive, Denver was only down 5-0 and only 8-0 after the next Seattle possession.  There was plenty of time to calm down and get things under control.  If they were in shock after the game the way started, they are not a very strong team mentally.  I mean come on, you're down by one score.  Get it together.
  • It was clear Denver was not prepared to be hit.  
  • It was clear Denver was not prepared to hit back.
  • Denver could not get Seattle off the field on third down.
  • That being said, when can a team give up 43 points and you can say the defense didn't play that bad.
  • True, they gave up a couple scores late due to bad tackling, but the game had been over for quite some time and it was clear the offense had given up.
  • Denver clearly got out-coached.  When it was obvious that their game plan was not working, why not try mixing things up.  After the two week break, I was fully expecting to see things we had never seen before.  Well, they scored only 8 points, I guess that was something new.
  • They had some clear mismatches on offense, specifically with Welker.  He was open a lot and I think they should have kept feeding him the ball over and over again until Seattle had to overreact to that and that might have opened things up down the field.  Maybe that was the plan but Manning was too flustered to make the throws.
  • Denver's special teams, and special team coaching, was a joke.  Why do a pooch kickoff to open the second half?  Sure, they didn't know it would be returned for a TD but why take that change?
  • I think the onside kick to start the 4th quarter was a bad move.  No, I don't think Denver was going to come back but you never know and why give Seattle such a short field?
  • I said this to anyone that would listen but one of Denver's biggest problems was that their defense forced 0 turnovers in the two playoff games leading to the Super Bowl.  The finished with 0 in their 3 playoff games.
  • Manning got rattled right away with that safety and it didn't look like he could recover.  That was surprising to me as it was not his first (or second) Super Bowl.  I thought his big game experience would give Denver the advantage but he made mistake after mistake and couldn't regroup.
Believe it not I was not intending this to sound so negative so let me (sort of) change it up a bit

  • I stopped watching at the end of the first quarter.  I did tune back in a few times to see how things were going.  Unfortunately when I did, I saw Peyton's pick-six, and unsuccessful forth down (and short) conversion.
  • Maybe that didn't sound positive but it was for me because I didn't witness the ugly second half.
  • Maybe because I didn't witness the second half I have a more positive attitude that most other Broncos fans.  I've been listening to sports talk radio the past 2 days and it sounds like most people are devastated.
  • Sure, I had a few bad dreams about the game but nothing near what I experienced after the loss to Baltimore last year.  I didn't sleep well for 3-5 nights after that game.
  • I know this might not sound like me but I really enjoyed the regular season and playoffs (until the Super Bowl) and look back at the season with a positive feeling.  I enjoyed hearing about Denver during the 2 weeks leading up to the big game (as opposed to Baltimore or NE.)
  • I am very happy that Champ got to experience Super Bowl week and get all the attention he deserved for a great career.
  • Although I wanted Denver to win, I have to say I'm happy for my friend Chris (who has been mentioned on this blog in the past) because, as a life long Seahawks fan, he finally got to see his team hoist the trophy.
  • After Denver's 0-4 record in the Super Bowl, I know how happy I was to finally see them come out on top.  I think every sports fan should be able to experience that feeling once in their lifetime.
  • IMO, it was remarkable that Denver made it to the Super Bowl with 5 of their 11 defensive starters on the IR.  Yes, almost half of the starting defense, including their best player (Von Miller) was out.  Perhaps this is why they finished the playoffs with a -4 turnover margin.
  • Denver's schedule next year is brutal.  Road games in Seattle, NE (again?), St Louis, Cincinnati, and KC, along with home games against San Francisco, Indy, and Arizona.  I'm thinking Denver will win 10 - 11 games next year.
  • Even with 10 - 11 wins, with that schedule I think Denver will be much more prepared for the playoffs and hopefully more mentally/physically tough.  Hopefully they don't have the injury issues next year like they did this year.
  • I'm curious to see what Denver does this offseason as far as free agency goes.  They will probably lose Knowshon and Decker but I hope they focus a little more on the defense.  Specifically safety.  They need to become a better turnover forcing defense.

So much for thinking this was going to be a short post!




No comments:

Post a Comment