Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No no no noooooooooooooooooo

Wow, what a day.  I thought the biggest news would be the announcement that Jon Embree had accepted the head coaching job at CU (big shocker there) but then we were hit with the McBomb.  The Denver Broncos have released Josh McDaniels of his head coaching duties.  I guess I have to give Pat Bowlen some credit for cutting ties now but I didn't actually think he would do it before the season was over.  You would like to think he's doing it now because he has some big name coach waiting in the wings but that is unlikely as they quickly named Eric Studesville interim head coach.
Initial reports suggested that Leslie Frazier (currently Minnesota Vikings interim head coach) and Troy Calhoun (currently Air Force head coach) were the front-runners but I just heard that Calhoun has already asked to be taken out of consideration.  I wasn't too excited about Calhoun as the head coach, although we was with the Broncos from 2003-2005, but it wouldn't have shocked me if they went with him because he would have been a lot cheaper than the bigger names out there (and the Broncos will be on the hook for three head coaching salaries next year.)  Frazier would be an intriguing choice since he's a defensive minded coach but it really sounds like he will stay in Minnesota.  I would love to think that the Broncos have a shot (and the cash) to get a coach like Gruden or Cowher but I don't think that will happen and they will probably end up with either an unproven coach or Gary Kubiak.  I really like Kubiak but it's not like he set the world on fire in Houston.  In fact, if the Broncos end up with Kubiak it will probably be because he was fired by the Texans.  Most important of all, in my opinion, is that they get a good GM.
Oh yeah, there was also a football game on Sunday.  The Broncos lost to the Chiefs 10-6 in what sounded like a very boring game.  The reason I don't know is because I chose not to watch the game.  It was probably the first time that I can ever remember being home during a Broncos game and not watching a single play.  It's just not worth the frustration anymore.  That being said I will watch this week as the Broncos take on the Cardinals because I am interested to see how the players react after losing their coach.  I said I wouldn't do this again this year but I'm actually going to pick Denver to win this one 27 - 13.

I just heard that Angie's sister is now in the hospital to deliver her second baby.  They chose not to find out the sex (just like with the first one) so I can't wait to hear if they have a new baby boy or girl.  My guess is boy!

I've got my third  rec basketball game tonight although I missed the first one.  We lost last week by 13 (I think it was more) which was actually pretty good since we started the game with only five players and had to play the second half with only four as one of our players fouled out.  I was so sore after the game last week I had a hard time climbing the stairs to my office until Friday.  I should have worked out a bit this weekend but didn't find time for it so I'll probably be out of gas fast.

We tried taking baby girl to see Santa Claus last night at the mall but as we got closer and closer to the front of the line she knew something was up.  I think kids can smell fear.  It was either fear or the smell of other kids wetting their pants as they are forced to sit on Santa's lap to the amusement of their parents.  By the time we got to the on deck circle I started to give L the pre-game prep talk.  "OK you're going to go see Santa now.  You can sit on his lap and tell him what you want for Christmas and we'll take a picture.  See, you're cousin C is there now and he's having fun.  Are you ready to go? You can do this!"  Needless to say I didn't have much luck.   As soon as L saw the man in red she immediately started saying "no no no no" and gave my neck the death grip as she tried to climb up and over my chest/shoulder.  The hysterical crying started as soon as I started walking to Santa's chair and continued as Angie sat down with us to try to calm her down.  The picture of Santa, Angie, and I turned out great but there was a red faced little girl burying her face in Angie's shoulder that was the deciding factor in not buying a picture.  As we walked away I thought I saw a dirty look thrown our way by the mall employee either because we wasted their precious 90 seconds or wasted the precious 2 MB of digital pictures that must be nearly impossible to remove from their hard drive.  And, of course, as we were leaving L smiled and waved bye-bye to Santa and said "Santa, Santa" already forgetting the longest, scariest 90 seconds of her life.

Don't you hate the "easy open" packaging these days?  You know what I'm talking about, the perforations put in cardboard pop containers or cereal boxes.  The ones that require you to rip apart the entire package to get inside and the only part of intact cardboard left at the end are the parts with the perforations.  I tried to open a package of batteries this morning using the "easy open" panels on the back and pretty much tore apart the entire package including the plastic on the front.  How are you even supposed to open those anyway?  They want you to push in the middle to start the opening process which is impossible since THERE ARE BATTERIES BEHIND WHERE I'M SUPPOSED TO PUSH.  Good times.

2 comments:

  1. We have lots to talk about coach wise. D and I have a list on the fridge. I say Kubiak can comeback but only as an offensive coordinator.

    Poor little baby girl. Way to torture her! :) I was scared of Santa til I was like 12(but would sit on his lap anyway because the risk of not getting a visit for him won out over my fear).

    I am not allowed to open cereal boxes. I destroy the box every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you guys regarding Kubiak. I'm afraid that if they put Elway in charge he'll bring in Kubiak in as head coach. Right now I'd take a big name GM over a big name coach but I'm afraid they will go cheap since they are still paying Shanny and McD.

    ReplyDelete