Friday, December 17, 2010

Sweet tooth

I meant to write on Monday but this week has been so busy I didn't have time until now.  Let's start with the Broncos game on Sunday.  After watching the first few minutes I was terrified.  There was no way the Broncos could lose to the Cardinals.  They were terrible.  Luckily the Broncos were even worse.  It has now become the standard for the Broncos to easily move down the field and score (only a FG this time) on their first possession only to be held scoreless until the fourth quarter.  Sure enough after taking a quick 3-0 lead the Broncos found themselves down 19-3 entering the fourth quarter.  The only TD the Broncos gave up to that point was on a fake FG.  I think they must have set some record for giving up the most fake kicks (FG plus punts) for a season.  Are the Broncos now the nerd of the NFL walking around the hallway with a sign on their backs that says "fake kick-me"?  Then all, you know what, broke loose.  The Cardinals, who hadn't scored an offensive touchdown in 11 quarters, exploded for 24 fourth quarter points to win 43-13.  Yes you read that right, the Cardinals scored 43 points against the Broncos.  I actually found myself laughing out loud a few times during this game.  It's now like watching a car wreck.  I know I should just walk by the TV, glance at the score, and keep walking but I can't help but sit down and watch to see how bad the damage is.  My thought that the coaching shake up, in addition to playing a very bad team, would lead to a win was way off.  From the perspective of next year's draft week 14 was just about perfect.  Denver's loss coupled with wins by Buffalo, Detroit, Arizona, and San Francisco (teams Denver is "chasing" for the #2 pick in the draft) made for a great week.  This is what makes me happy now...how sad.

I forgot to do my Hillis update last week and I feel like I need to give Moreno some props for his 161 yard effort against the Chiefs.  Here is your Hillis update for the past two weeks:

Hillis (weeks 13 and 14): 39 carries for 165 yards
Broncos (weeks 13 and 14): 54 carries for 293 yards
Hillis (season): 238 carries for 1070 yards
Broncos (season): 303 carries for 1166 yards (YES the entire team is finally ahead of Peyton Hillis!!)

A word of advice to Broncos' kicker Steve Hauschka.  If you lift your helmet up just a little bit, so you can actually see the field, you might have a better chance to kick the ball more accurately.  Just a thought.

Once again word from the Broncos was that Kyle Orton was going to start Sunday against the Raiders leaving Broncos Nation scratching their collective heads.  Why, for the love of Friar Tuck, won't they play Tebow?  As far as I could see it had to be one of two reasons.  One, they see how bad he is during practice and don't want the world to see how badly they screwed up the draft.  The other reason I thought of is that they were waiting for the next home game to announce Tebow as the starter so they could actually fill a few of the over 13,000 empty seats from the last home game.  I guess all these points are moot now that Orton is hurt and Tebow should get the start Sunday against the Raiders.  What a place to start your first career game!

This week the Philadelphia Phillies signed ace Cliff Lee who now joins Roy Halliday, Roy Oswalt, and Cole Hamels to make one of the best rotations (on paper) I have ever seen.  The Phillies are now the "Yankees of the NL."  Maybe it's just jealousy but I really hate the Phillies.  Hated them before and hate them even more now.

I'm so tired of all the Carmelo Anthony rumors going around.  Every day a new rumor comes out.  I wish Melo would just come out and say what wants to do.  Either you want to stay or you want to get traded.  Let's just get this over with and get rid of the guy and move on.

Unfortunately I don't have anything fun or exciting to mention outside of the world of sports.  Last weekend was spent making chocolate covered peanut butter balls, caramels, and almond rocca.  This weekend we will be focused on making chocolate crinkle cookies and lefse.  Of course the candy has to be taste tested before we give it out to friends.  I only hope there is enough left next week to give out.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I found that I wasn't at all irritated with the Broncos loss. Was it pathetic? Absolutely but I've got my eye on the draft and am thinking we might as well lose out and stay low in the picks. It is weird to watch them get killed and take it so lightly. I guess I've got other things on my mind...like peanut butter balls and mugs of grandma's hot chocolate.
    Thanks for posting. I was wondering where you were this week.

    ReplyDelete