Monday, July 1, 2013

35 - 49

After a trip to Safeway last week to pick up a pre-work coffee I noticed my receipt was a "treat receipt."  A treat receipt gives you $1 off your next coffee if you complete a short survey online.  I usually fill out the survey because 1) I like getting $1 off my latte and, 2) I know that doesn't send any email spam once I fill out the survey.  Anyway, I hadn't had a treat receipt in awhile (mainly because I don't drink as much coffee now that it's 75 degrees at 7:30am) so when I got to the page where is asks for gender, age, and race I cruised through it clicking the same buttons I always did.  As I was about to hit the "next page" button I did a double take as I realized I had checked the 26 - 34 year old button.  Wait a minute, I'm not 34 am I?  After some quick math I determined that I am now 35 and fall into the 35 - 49 age group.  What?  When did I get this old?  As far as Starbucks is concerned I'm now in the same class as 49 year olds?  Sheesh.  I might as well start eating dinner at 5:00pm (oh wait, we already do that...well, 5:30pm) and watching Matlock and wearing my socks pulled up to my knees while wearing shorts.  How depressing.  I had a friend that turned 35 over the weekend and I texted him to tell him happy birthday and let him know that he's now halfway to 70.  He said that was a depressing way to look at it.  Maybe I should let him know that when he fills out a survey he needs to double check the age box as we're now in a new age range.

Since my last post I have been trying to increase my distance.  I don't want to ramp it up too quick so that I get burned out, and it's probably not smart to push myself when I'm running in the 70 - 80 degree heat.  That being said last week I ran 3.63, 5.55, and 6.23 miles.  I did intervals for the 6.23 miles and got them done in 59:02 which is a 9:28 min/mile pace.  Maybe it was the high 70 degree heat or just the fact that I had never gone 6+ miles before but I was beat at the end.  It's hard to imagine doing that run twice and I still won't be quite done with my half marathon.  Good thing I've got 4 more months to get my stamina up for those long runs. 

I got in 4.5 miles this morning in preparation for my 4 mile race on Thursday.  I'm not sure if I'll try to get a couple miles in tomorrow or Wednesday or if I'll just get some rest before then.  Right now my goal is to get the 4 miles done in less than 37 minutes.  Angie is going to push the girls (in a double stroller) in the 4k race so I'd love to get done before them so I can head back on the course and finish with them.  I sure hope the girls will stay in the stroller the entire time.  If it's anything like the grocery store they sit in the double firetruck cart for about 5 minutes before arms and legs start hanging out the sides which turns into them both trying to escape the cart when I stop for 5 seconds to put something in the cart.  "Norah, sit on your bottom.  Lauren, quit standing on the cart.  Get your legs inside.  Oh forget it, just follow close to the cart and don't TOUCH ANYTHING"  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment