Monday, July 15, 2013

Spoiler Alert!

**First let me mention that there are no actual spoilers in this blog posting**

I was very excited when I got the email from the Erie Library saying that the DVDs for Game of Thrones Season 1 were ready for me to pick up.  I've heard a lot of good things about this series so, along with the fact that there is no good TV on right now, I was ready to put the girls to bed at 7:00pm and start watching.  I should mention that I had heard a few spoilers about this show, specifically about season 1, and that the author (GoT was first a series of novels) loves killing off major characters so I was somewhat prepared.  (Don't worry, this isn't a spoiler, there are about 40 major characters.)  Angie didn't know anything at all about the show so it was going to be fun to watch her reaction to the surprises of the season.  Well, we didn't have to wait long as the big (at least I think it's the biggest one) shocking event happened in the first episode!  

Angie and I couldn't believe it until we went to watch episode 2 only to find out we had just watched episode 9!  Oops.  I had grabbed what I thought was the first DVD from the case and I actually grabbed the LAST DVD.  No wonder we didn't understand anything that was going on.  As we were watching the episode I kept thinking to myself that the producers didn't do a very good job of explaining the background stories.  Maybe they expected that people had read the books first.  Or, maybe they expected people to start on episode 1.  After we popped disc 1 in and watched episode 1 it turns out they do a great job of explaining background.  As of last night we have watched episodes 1-6 (and 9) and I really enjoy it.  There are plenty of twists and turns and shocking deaths.  If you don't know anything about this show it's like a sci-fi, fantasy, Gladiator meets Sopranos.  There is a lot of bad language and a lot of nudity so I can't "officially" recommend it but we are really enjoying it.

Have you ever started a movie or show at the wrong spot and ruined a surprise?

Do any of you watch GoT and if so do you like it?

Angie and I are getting tired of our usual shows, are there any that you recommend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment