Monday, July 15, 2013

Oh thank heaven...

...I made it seven!  That's right, I finally got over the seven mile plateau and ran for more than an hour for the first time ever.  I figured this would be my shot at getting over the six mile mark because the weather was actually going to be cool and we leave for vacation Wednesday afternoon and it's hard to find time to run while on vacation.  Anyway, my stomach wasn't feeling the greatest this morning so I wasn't quite sure how my run would go.  The first mile went fine but by the second and third mile I was really considering heading back to the office.  The fact that I was still 2+ miles away from work convinced me that I should just keep going on my course.  I started feeling better by mile 5 but then my left knee/ankle started bugging me.  (I know I'm a big complainer...sorry.)  Any thoughts of stopping early were pushed aside because you can't run the seventh mile without running the first six right?  It would have been a waste to quit when I was so close to running longer and farther than I ever have before.  Plus now I can say that I've done more than half of a half marathon (a quarter marathon for those math majors out there.)  

My splits were (remember I don't start intervals until the start of the second mile and I didn't walk at the start of the seventh mile):

8:58 min/mile, 9:29, 9:41, 9:55, 9:51, 9:57, 9:49, and 8:47 (0.3 miles) for a total average pace of 9:41 min/mile, a total distance of 7.3 miles, and a total time of 1:10:39.

I'm very happy with this average pace and hope I can keep it this consistent for the next 6 miles.  

2 comments:

  1. Are these times consistent with your projected half marathon time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! The seven mile run put me on a pace for a 2 hour 7 minute half marathon. Although my splits were pretty consistent I'm not sure if (right now) I could keep it going for 6 more miles. Hopefully I will in a few months.

    ReplyDelete