Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Sports, Sports, and More Sports

Do you like the title?  It's been so long since my last blog entry I have decided to split this one into two separate blogs.  One on sports and one on everything else.  I'm pretty sure I could post the presents I'm going to get Angie for the next 10 years because I doubt she got any further than the title!

So much has happened since my last entry in early March.  Most of that post was devoted to the Broncos and the upcoming free agency.  Back in March I wrote that I thought Denver needed to pick up a safety, an edge rusher, and a linebacker.  I also mentioned that they were in need of another WR since they were most likely going to lose Eric Decker.  How does three out of four sound?  Denver made an immediate and loud statement when they signed two of the top defensive free agents in safety TJ Ward and pass rush expert DeMarcus Ware.  They also signed former Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders.  They didn't get any linebackers that I know of but how can you complain about the moves they made?  If Von Miller can get back to his 2012 form they should be able to put some serious pressure on opposing QBs.  
I can't wait to see Ware in the orange and blue!
Also, the NFL Draft wrapped up last weekend and Denver made a few interesting picks.  I'll all for the first round pick of CB Bradley Roby from Ohio State but I was a little surprised to see them trade up in the second round to pick up a WR.  I really thought they would go for a linebacker that could make an immediate impact but I guess they wanted another weapon for Manning.  I do hear good things about the pick, Cody Latimer, however.  I heard one stat that said he dropped only 1 pass last season for Indiana.  That will be quite the change compared to Dropsies Decker.  After the draft Denver picked up CSU Rams LB Shaquil Barrett and RB Kapri Bibbs.  I'm actually surprised that Barrett (2013 Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year) wasn't drafted and I'm curious to see if he can make the team.  I've never thought Bibbs' game would translate to the pros so I'm not expecting him to make the squad although I'd love to be wrong.  Bring on training camp!
Will Bibbs be crossing the goal line for Denver this season?

As far as the Avalanche, they ended up with the #2 seed in the Western Conference and then ended up losing in the first round to Minnesota in 7 games.  It was a fun series to watch and this season got me excited about hockey again.  I actually ended up going to game 5 (which the Avs won in OT) with my college roommate and had a great time.  With such a young and talented team there is a lot of optimism at the Pepsi Center (for the Avs...not so much for the Nuggets.)
Too bad this wasn't the scene in game 7

The Rockies are off to a better than expected start this spring.  Hopefully they will keep it up for awhile to keep things interesting.



1 comment:

  1. ACTUALLY, I read the 1st paragraph because I saw my name and the word "presents" thankyouverymuch! - Love, Angie

    ReplyDelete