Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Lovely winter we're having this spring

That about summarizes the past month.  I heard on the radio today that this is the third different snow storm we've had since April 9!  I know that we need the moisture and the roads haven't been too bad but I'm ready for some decent weather.  I see that it's supposed to clear up for a couple days and then snow again on Monday.  Ugh.  I guess I should come clean and let everyone know that the weather is my fault.  You know how it always rains the day after you get your car washed?  Well, I signed up for a spring softball league.  My bad.  The league plays on Tuesday nights and we started back on March 19.  We won that first game and haven't played since.  If you want to know when it's going to snow next, Tuesday is a pretty good bet.  After four (and counting?) straight weeks of snow-outs we're scheduled to play double-headers three weeks in a row.  If our double-headers get rained out I'm not sure what they will do.  Hopefully they decide to push the playoffs back a week instead of asking us to play four games in one night.  Ugh.

The weather last Monday and Friday was actually pretty nice so I got to run outside twice.  On Monday I ran a route that forced me to run the last 5 minutes uphill which, combined with the gusty wind, made for a rough finish.  On Friday I decided to go the opposite direction so that I went uphill during my warm-up walk and the workout felt much easier.  Here is my "end of week 4 update:"

Projected 1/2 marathon time (repeating week 4 workout): 150 minutes = 2 hours 30 minutes
1/2 marathon time goal: 2 hours 45 minutes

As I mentioned earlier the weather here hasn't been ideal for outdoor training so I've done treadmill workouts so far this week.  I'll give more details on week 5 when I wrap it up on Friday afternoon but this is the week that it starts to get more difficult.

We went up to my cousin's cabin in Bailey this past weekend and my oldest daughter, L, was introduced to Star Wars.  She and her cousin watched Episodes IV and VI and they LOVED it.  In fact, L now goes by Luke Skywalker and won't answer to her real name.  Because Luke's dad is Darth Vader, I am now Darth Vader.  Or should I say, "Door Vader."  Luckily, according to L...I mean Luke, I'm nice and we only fight in the movie, not real life!  I love that she loves the movies and it's so great that the movies are OK for my 3-year old.  Sure there are some scary parts, which she doesn't seem to find scary, but there is no bad language, no "adult situations", and no blood.  Too bad PG these days doesn't mean PG like it used to.


No comments:

Post a Comment