Thursday, January 13, 2011

The call

A lot has happened in the past week for the Denver Broncos.  First, and most notably, Andrew Luck announced he would stay at Stanford for at least one more year.  This, to me, was big news for the Broncos because there had been so much speculation whether or not John Elway (Stanford alumnus) would try to trade up to the first pick in the draft to grab Luck.  Now that Luck is out of consideration it will be interesting to see what happens.  My guess is that both Carolina (pick #1) and Denver will try to move back in the draft in order to pick up additional picks.  I'm not sure whether or not this will happen, however, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus top pick so Denver might be stuck with the #2 pick (not that I mind.)  I'm hoping for either Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers.

A day after Luck's announcement that he would remain at Stanford Jim Harbaugh announced he would leave Stanford to take the head coaching job in San Francisco.  Wow, as I'm writing this the Broncos have just announced John Fox as the new head coach!  I was about to waste a bunch of space on this blog saying why John Fox is the answer and Rick Dennison isn't.  Don't get me wrong, I like Rick Dennison and wouldn't mind to see him here as a coordinator but I still have memories of him being the special teams coach of Denver's average at best special teams units.  Although it may have been nice if Fox was coming off of a year off to recharge, I think he was the best option out there.  He doesn't need to be head coach/GM/master of everything.  He can concentrate on being the head coach and, hopefully, bring some good assistants with him.  He also has eight games of playoff experience, one Super Bowl appearance, and a history of turning around a losing franchise.  I don't blame him in the least for Carolina's 2-14 this record this season.  It seemed pretty clear the powers that be were happy with a losing season in order to get Andrew Luck.  OOPS!  The Silver Panther is now the Silver Bronco! Bring on the 2011 - 2012 season!

A couple weeks ago we decided to be nice and answer a quick telephone survey.  Big mistake.  Two nights ago they called again to tell us that we had been entered in a prize drawing and, here it comes, we won the prize!  They said they would have a delivery man in the area the next night and asked if he could drop off the prize and would we fill out a brief questionnaire.  Long story short we said OK and last night we were blessed to be visited by a VACUUM SALESMAN!!!  Yes, apparently there are still traveling vacuum salesmen out there.  Luckily Google had prepared us for the fact that we were in for a home demonstration of the Blue Max Air 2000!  While it was an impressive vacuum we had no intention of buying it and I think the guy got that impression because near the end of his demo he promptly packed up the vacuum, gave us our prizes (more on that later), and booked it out the door.  I even tried to lead him into giving us the price or the "I'll have to talk to my manager" and "my manager said I could take $500 off but now we're losing money" speeches but they never came.  Maybe the fact that baby girl bonked her head and started crying helped him out the door.  If that was the case, thank you baby girl, I love you!!!  I looked up the price and it is well over $3000!

Oh, the prizes turned out to be the same prizes I "won" when I bought my car.  $500 of free merchandise (you only have to pay the $500 in shipping!) and 3 day vacation where you have to sit through timeshare meetings 24-7.  Lesson learned.  This has been a public service announcement.

In case any of you have been on the edge of your seats waiting to see my beard pictures here you go.  Enjoy. Please no comments about my multiple chins, power alleys, or gray hair.  I blame it on global warming.

                                          DAY 1
                                          DAY 5
                                          DAY 10
                                          DAY 15

3 comments:

  1. I heard it here first about John Fox. You are always my go to source.
    I think the beard looks good and I don't see any signs of multiple chins (oh please), power alleys or grey hair. What does Baby Girl think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I read about Fox the better I feel. Sounds like he had nothing to do with the bad mis-management of the Carolina franchise. Drafting Jimmy Clausen in the second round?! Stuff like that. But still, all-in-all, do you think we should have fired Mike Shanahan a few years ago? I still think that was a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, when are you going to weigh in on Melo and Billups possibly being traded? Resurgent CU Buffs under Tad Boyle? Is there some space in here for basketball talk?

    ReplyDelete